Saturday, May 4, 2013

New Altered Book & Yard Stick Project & Workshop Coming

This past couple of weeks I've been working on an altered mini board book with the theme of vintage children's books. I love the images from the 40s and 50s. Below is a picture of the cover.
It all started with this mini child's board book - measuring 3" x 3".
I then cut the book into a house shape.
I covered each page with gesso.
Below is a close up of each page.
I collaged each page using images from vintage books and scrapbook paper from: Graphic 45 ABC Primer or Carta Bella True Friends paper.
I soldered the top of each page to give it a tin-roof look. Some images show the soldering tape before I tarnished it - once tarnished the roof looks blackened.

This weekend, I also finished my vintage yard stick shadow box. I wasn't able to take a great shot of it from my hallway - but it's big 44" x 55" and it's super heavy (about 75lbs).
Here's a few pictures of how it started. My brother-in-law, Bob, built this beautiful frame.
I painted the background with chalk board paint. I drew on it to give it a used look.
Then erased all the chalk.
Next I glued on the rulers. It was my daughter's great idea to stagger the rulers and I just love how it turned out.
The picture below was my inspiration...it was posted on One Lucky Day's blog and ever since, I was on a mission to recreate one for myself. Thank you Paula for my posting this amazing piece on your blog.

And last, but not least, I'm scheduling my first workshop of the year - Let's Make Dolls! We'll make a doll necklace, a domino doll, a mini furniture doll and a paper doll.
It's going to be held on Saturday, June 8th from 10:30 - 2:30pm - $48. Lunch will be provided. Email me if you want to sign up or want more details. 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Super cute mini "house" book! Your yard stick project came out very nice. It would look great in a craft room or office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! You have been busy! I would love to take your workshop if I lived a little closer! Good Luck! You will do great and they will all love your projects!

    Your ruler art is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. connie, I am so glad you finished the yardstick project. It looks amazing!!
    paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. would have loved to come to your class! i too am teaching on that same day! darn... your ruler art came out fantastic!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your altered house book is over the top great! The soldering for the roof completes the feel of the house.
    The photos are adorable - love the theme! Your yard stick artwork turned out great - love the old world feel to it. Looking forward to your doll necklace class - oh boy!

    ReplyDelete