Thursday, August 31, 2017

Whimsical Collages Using Tim Holtz Paper Dolls

I was at Michael's the other day and found this pack of 107 pieces of vintage photos all individually cut out - nice!
 
So, I couldn't wait to start making something with them. For this set, I used various envelopes and followed a style that's similar to Lynn Whipple and techniques I've learned from Robin Marie Smith.
This is the first one I created and after that, I quickly brought out more envelopes to collage.
 First, I added some neutral vintage text paper to each envelope.
If you follow me, you know I love this metro issue paper, so I tore bits and pieces of that and glued them onto the envelopes.
Then I added some pieces of colored tissue paper to each envelope.
 Followed by some random pieces of black and white accent papers.
Last step was to add a white wash with some gesso.
Then, I glued on one of the images from Tim's pack of vintage photos and just added white dots and accents to each of the images. Adding fun hats, wings and a red nose makes for a whimsical collage.
These put a smile on my face and I feel so free and easy to create these when you know the sillier the better.  :-)

4 comments:

  1. Very sweet and whimsical! Love the Tim Holtz paper dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really adorable! I like how you do the white wash with the gesso...it gives it an added dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! I loved these also when I saw them and Tim's made it so easy since they are already cut out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got around to seeing this blog.....what a great art project! Definitely inspired to try this with Tim's vintage photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete